No matter what you study or how far you progress, school always seems to involve a lot of writing. It’s hard, no doubt about it, and sometimes a second pair of eyes – other than the grader’s, of course! – can make all the difference. I edit papers, theses, dissertations, and other written assignments at any level (undergrad or graduate) and in almost any subject. Get in touch and let me know how I can make your academic life easier.
Basic Rate: $24 / hour
When doing academic editing, I charge by the hour, not the page. Why? Well, some pages take longer to edit than others. Using an hourly rate ensures that every page of every paper gets the attention it deserves. (It also ensures that you don’t end up paying more just because you wrote a long paper that’s virtually problem-free!)
My normal rate is $24/hour. If you need to keep to a particular budget, feel free to let me know beforehand so we can come up with a strategy to meet your needs.
- Editing and proofreading student papers in a variety of disciplines at the undergraduate, Master’s, and doctoral levels. I have edited term papers, comprehensive exam articles, dissertations, and more for both native English speakers and English Second Language students.
- Two years experience as a teaching and research assistant to an undergraduate-level professor of history. My primary responsibility in this role was helping prepare a historical monograph for publication by verifying all footnotes and bibliography entries, proofreading the final manuscript, and reviewing the index for accuracy.
- Two years experience as an administrative and research assistant to a graduate-level professor of theology. My responsibilities included scanning student papers and tests, filing journal articles, and compiling lists of entries in major topical encyclopedias.
- Entered college as a National Merit Scholar.
- Graduated summa cum laude from Wheaton College, Illinois, with a BA in English and History (double-major).
- Member of Phi Alpha Theta and the Wheaton College Scholastic Honor Society.
- Wrote a paper that received first place in Wheaton’s Jameson Critical Essay Contest, and Best Undergraduate Paper award at Phi Alpha Theta’s Midwest Regional Conference.
- College coursework included classes in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. I maintained a 4.0 GPA for all general education courses.
- I have in-depth experience with Turabian/Chicago style guidelines, and a strong working knowledge of MLA and APA format requirements.
Types of Service
Not all papers need the same type or level of attention. Depending on the amount of time you have, the importance of the assignment, and your confidence in your writing ability, you might want a different kind of work done. The following terms don’t represent hard and fast categories – rather, they’re basic descriptions to help you think about what you might need. Please note that while I don’t draw a distinction between these levels in terms of pricing, “heavier” editing jobs generally take longer than lighter ones.
- Proofreading (light): Basic review for typos, missing words, simple mistakes in spelling and grammar, etc. This takes the least amount of time, but doesn’t address any underlying problems.
- Copy editing (medium): Close review of mechanics (spelling, punctuation, etc.), as well as word choice, sentence structure, and organization of individual paragraphs.
- Structural revision (heavy): Looks beyond the sentence and paragraph level to consider the overall organization of the paper, beginning to end. This can help improve the flow of ideas and strengthen your argument.
- Reference formatting: Ensures that all footnotes, internal citations, and/or bibliography entries are consistent and compliant with correct style (Chicago/APA/MLA).